Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

An Evening with Jen and Thoughts Lately

Two weeks ago I headed down to Lake Jackson to hear Jen Hatmaker speak.  She came to Ladie's Night at my old church and when I found out she would be there I knew I had to go.  Signing up is what jumpsatrted my desire to read "7."  I'm one of those that likes to be prepared when I go somewhere so I figured reading the book beforehand would be a good way to do that.  So I had just finished the book and then heard her speak.  It's funny because after being in the book for a week it seemed like I was watching my new friend talk to us all.  What she said was so good and it's taken about these entire two weeks to process everything lately.  It's nice though because it's as if so much of what I have been thinking and praying over lately is what she writes in her books.  After hearing Jen and finishing 7 I decided to go back and read her earlier book "Interrupted."  It too is SO good and it seems that every other page I'm quoting parts to Aaron because it's as if she wrote so many of the thoughts in my heart and head.  One of my favorite quotes from the book and her talk that sum up my heart right now is this one:

"It's hard to dismiss the idea of a redeeming Christ when His followers are pouring thier lives out for the last and least."

A few weeks ago at church our pastor was talking about personal convictions that others see in us and he said "it's hard for someone to argue with what you say you believe when you live it out each day." 

If I had to sum up in a few words the passion Christ has raised up in me it would be "loving and serving the last and least."  I so desire for my life to look like Christ's not so that I be raised up but so that Christ is glorified as I am literally His feet to the last and the least. 

In her book "Interrupted" Jen talks about how it can be overwhelming when you begin to realize and understand the suffering of our broken world and I think that's where I've been stuck lately. But at the same time I've been convicted that one small commitment, one small change, one yes is how I can be Christ's hands and feet in our world.  And I pray that together enough of us saying yes will result in living in a kingdom upside down where the last shall be first, all for Christ's glory.  We're still working our way through how this looks in our lives and where Christ is calling us, but I am convinced that as one of my favorite songs says, "greater things are still to be done in this city" and we are committed to being Christ's literal gospel to a broken city.

No comments:

Post a Comment